Laptops are incredibly personal devices that we use for both professional/work-related or entertainment purposes. There are different types of laptops with highlights on different aspects. Depending on your need and what your primary focus would be out of that laptop, you can pick your choice from a myriad of options available out there. The best laptop for watching movies would have to include some key features that are important for a good film-watching experience.
Features to Look for a Good Movie Experience
For a laptop device that extends as a good entertainment device whenever you need to watch/stream content, there are a few things you should consider. The screen size, resolution, graphic variation, and processing unit to its RAM and battery life are some of the main components that one should consider. These are the components that affect your film-watching experience on a laptop, and what you should consider closely before you get a laptop for this specific purpose.
In the following section, there are suggestions of laptops with analysis on their features and what they are good for. Not each of these laptops is an ideal device for you, we don’t know what your specific preferences are. But based on the common standard features we mentioned, these laptops have multiple or all of those features highlighted in their systems. For the analysis, there’ll be a pro and con table to highlight the main good and bad features. Followed by the specifications, score, and summary, before a detailed account of the key features.
The score would be explained in the summary but the main features that make your film-watching experience better will all be highlighted in the score, which is an overall out of 10. These scores and summary, however objective, are still based on our team’s perspective of what we believe the laptop is worth. You can still form your own opinions and decide how it ranks for you on your own. Without further delay, let’s start our suggestion and analysis part.
● The Intel Core i5 i5-7300U Dual-core Processor in the laptop is not very advanced in terms of how processors in updated laptops go. But it is an appropriate and good standard processor for the price you are paying.
● The screen resolution of this one is the aspect that mainly puts it into the laptops that are good for movies. Graphics are very important whenever you’re consuming video-related content, and this one along with its screen resolution and its graphic processor make for great visuals.
● The storage on the system is good to keep your downloaded data stored until you watch it, and the processor helps keep it running smoothly, even with other tasks you use the device to perform.
● Lastly, the 12+ inch screen display is great if not ideal, especially if you consider the device offered for less than $600. Laptops that have a good combination of features that complement each other are not easy to come by at these prices unless you give up on or more of your desired features
PixelSense touch-screen display
Lightweight and compact to carry around
Screen resolution combined with graphic processor make for great graphics
With a good processor, this one can go up to 8 even 9 as a ranking out of 10, but the other highlighting features of graphics and resolution give it a good 7. If you want a lightweight option portable enough to carry wherever you go, choose this one.
● For a 13 inch laptop, this one is quite thin and light enough to be easily portable, in case you want to carry it around for any purpose
● You’ve already witnessed the price tag on this device, the features it offers to try to match it but it is not a perfect device, thus the complaints. The system overheating issue might not be unanimous but if you use the device for multiple tasks at once this might be a problem for you
● Storage is no issue as the 512 GB hard drive enables you to store content comfortably along with any of the documents
● The material used to manufacture the device makes it durable and not prone to damage or wear off easily
● Graphics are the main selling point of this laptop, combining the 11th gen processor, Iris Xe Graphics, and the screen resolution all gives a great visual experience that you can get used to
● There are different variations in the features such as the graphics/RAM etc. that you can choose according to your requirements, and the price may fluctuate accordingly
Updated sleek and compact design along with performance
Adaptive performance based on Intel Dynamic Tuning Technology
Complaints regarding overheating and system freezing after hours of usage
This one is lower due to recent complaints by users, especially after the price that you have to pay for this one. But it’s still worth a try if you are not that worried about the money, a conventional one is often more suitable for people who are not fans of super-smart tech.
● Surface Pro 7 is another feather in Microsoft’s line of laptop devices, most of which are 2-in-1 or more convertibles
● The main advantage of this one is its ability to modify according to your need. You can switch between using it for reading/drawing/making work-related documents, to using it to stream shows on your favorite platforms with one quick flip
● With its compact design, the laptop improves almost all aspects of the device from its previous models
● Battery life is somewhat shorter than what you would expect of a laptop device of this caliber, specifically when the average of the other devices on this list is higher
● Another issue regarding connectivity is that laptops have moved on towards USB 3.1, which gives more avenues of easy access and connections
● The RAM on this one is appropriate, not anything above and beyond but it works well against the operating system of the device, and the graphics that make your visual experience
USB-C feature update
Improved color balance and saturation on the screen
3 in 1 laptop, studio, and tablet mode
Battery life is okay but drains faster when multiple tasks are going on at once
This is a good example of a balanced enough device that you can get for multiple uses around your house or office. It has less hard drive storage, which you can work with a portable hard drive, but it doesn’t have those other issues that cannot be fixed unless there’s an update.
● The screen size on this HP laptop is everything you would want in a portable device that you can carry around for multiple purposes
● Although the pixel experience on this one is claimed to be above standard, it is not that exceptional as the rest of the features, which are comparatively better on this device
● Battery life is adequate for you to watch your movies without getting disturbed in the middle
● The processor on this one is considered reliable enough to work your way around whether you have work to speed through, downloads to line up, stream, or watch downloaded content on the device
● The graphic processor makes up where the screen resolution might be lacking, giving you a good enough experience in this price and package
Generous screen size
Micro-edge bezel display that works well against the thin design
The processor enables you to work through tasks and entertainment at once
Lower screen resolution
This one is 6 because it has a lower resolution, the main component for a laptop to be considered for watching movies. But the screen size almost makes up for it to be adequate, so get it if you are not bothered regarding mildly adequate and not over the top resolution.
● There aren’t a lot of laptops available out there with highlighting features as such while being in the reasonable price range, but this one does the work, which is why it made into the list of the best laptop for watching movies
● The screen has a NanoEdge Display that enables seamless visuals. The ability to convert from laptop to a tablet allows the frameless display to work
● The device is not heavy or volumized due to its abilities, it’s still thin and easy to carry and move around according to your requirements
● The design seems to be a reason behind occasional complaints, where users argue about how it is not sturdy enough despite the multiple uses. The company claims the ergonomic design is made for comfortable use throughout its lifetime
2-in-1 convertible touchscreen laptop
Reasonably priced according to the features
Fast processor and faster connections with Bluetooth, WiFi, and cable accessibility
Not as sturdy in design
Inconsistent battery life
A good laptop in usage but can tire out its features such as the battery life and its design elements after constant use. However is a good 2-in-1 convertible option at this price for freshies and starters in the professional field too.
● People forget the multifunctional uses of their laptop devices, such as the convertible 2-in-1 ability of this one. For all those working in graphics/illustration, the pen and software work on this one is as good as some high-level marketed tablets and pens
● The graphics are only adequate though, so for people who are looking for exceptional graphic visuals on their films, etc. this might disappoint you a little on that front
● The RAM and processor are also appropriate to the needs of someone using this device. Mostly you would need it for work-related tasks, watching or streaming your desired content, and a little light gaming too
● There have been complaints by users regarding overheated fans after regular, intense use but that is something that might arise in any device if it is used regularly and with heavy software/tools involved. However, if you feel like your usage requires a better processor you might want to look for other options
● Battery life on this one is good but it may vary depending on use too as there is a high chance people might be using it for multiple things at once due to its 2-in-1 abilities
Includes a digital sketch pen
360⁰ hinge enables easy to switch mode of the laptop that you can choose
Is not that up-to-date with multi-functional tasks
The colors are not the same in bright environments
This one is not that good for multifunctional use as it might seem, but still a good option with a 2-in-1 feature. There is no real critique regarding this except for subjective resolution in different environments, so you can give it a whirl to decide for yourself.
● The Intel processor on this one is a winner in terms of smooth processing, whether it’s any of your computing tasks, creative work, or recreational activities that you use the device for
● The battery life on this one is significantly low, meaning you have to get used to having to plug it in while watching your stuff. If that’s something that might put you off, consider this thoroughly before your decision
● The 15+ inches of screen gives you ample opportunities to watch however many movies you want on that optimal size screen. This is something not many compact laptops offer these days, the size of the screen is often below 14 inches
● The HD webcam and built-in microphones are also great variants to add to the list of tools that help you in terms of connecting with others via the internet
● The 8 GB RAM might be pretty standard, but paired with the Intel graphic processor, makes up for better than just adequate graphics and visuals for those focused on the visual strength of the device
● The storage is however an issue because often you have things saved up to watch later, or just the act of using your laptop for multiple purposes means this kind of storage ends up being less than beneficial
Good graphics with the 1080p display
Updated features from previous models
Backlit keyboard for versatile use
Below average storage/hard drive capacity
A rather older model, but is good enough in terms of graphics if you can work around the battery life issue, which is not severe but only lacking in comparison to other options out there.
● Often the complaint regarding this Acer device isn’t as much a critique of the device, as much as it is a comparison with other well-known brands and their market competitive prices. If you do not care for brand names, this is a great option to consider for your film adventures
● The screen size is quite generous, even close to the largest in this list of laptops. The screen is an LED-backlit IPS Display too, making up for a good visual tool, complimenting the UHD Graphics 620 provided by Intel
● The battery life on this one is an issue because the others are giving a good average of above 8 hours, 5 hours seem to be too little a time, especially in today’s world of binge-watching most of our content
● Processor and RAM on this one are good to go in terms of computing and streaming both, multi-tasking at once too
Big screen size
Reasonably priced with balanced features
Acer Bluelight Shield feature
Only up to 16 GB module replacement allowed for RAM
Low battery life
Not very high quality or even matching the features, but a reasonably priced option with a good screen size. Many folks are unable to watch stuff on smaller screens, which is to say, a good screen size is a competent feature in a list of laptops for watching movies.
Apple M1 chip. Also available with Intel Core i5 or i7 processor
● We couldn’t miss the opportunity to add a MacBook where laptops are concerned, even if the main concern about it is the price
● Even though over time there have been user complaints regarding the updates required, and the accessories that need occasional replacing with Apple products, the overwhelming majority of users still prefer this over any other laptop
● It is compact, easy to carry around, light with the keys but expanded enough for easy typing, has a good graphic display and a great sound system to support a holistic video-watching experience
● If you are a user you already might be aware or might have heard of the smooth operating system that makes the entire device work. The fluency of computing and processing any task is Apple’s main quality
Sleek and smooth design, high stereo sound speakers
Innovative, lightweight, upgradable
High-end retina display and memory
The highest scored one, just due to its consistency in delivery and quality. It is a reliable one that you can trust when you purchase, if not anything else. If you are as unbothered by the price as you are impressed by its features, go for this one.
Concluding the list of our best laptops for watching movies, because there just couldn’t be one without any competitors. Everyone has different tastes, and preferences from a device they require and having a few options to choose from helps more than a concrete option.