McDonald’s said on Friday that its operations were not impacted by a data breach, which comes amid a worrying run of cyberattacks on high-profile targets.
After spotting illegal activity on its network, the corporation said that it collaborated with third parties who are experienced to undertake a thorough investigation.
McDonald’s Corporation informed ABC News that while they were able to immediately shut off access upon identification, their investigation showed that a limited number of files were viewed, some of which included personally identifiable information.
Their investigation discovered that hackers had access to consumer personal data in Taiwan and Korea, but that no files included consumer payment information. The corporation said that it would be notifying regulators and consumers whose names appear in these files.
McDonald’s stated that in the next few days, a few other markets will take actions to resolve files containing employee personal data, but it did not specify which markets were affected by the hack. The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that the hack revealed business contact information for US workers and franchisees, citing an internal letter to US workers, but that no consumer or employee data was compromised in the United States.
McDonald’s has claimed that it will use the investigation’s findings in conjunction with information from security resources to determine methods to further strengthen our current security procedures.
McDonald’s data leak comes on the heels of a slew of high-profile cyber-attacks that have alarmed corporate executives and legislators.
JBS, the world’s largest meatpacking company, said earlier this week that it had paid $11 million in Bitcoin to hackers who breached its system during a ransomware campaign.
Additionally, Colonial Pipeline CEO Joseph Blount was questioned by senators this week about his company’s ransomware assault, which resulted in the suspension of a key East Coast gasoline pipeline for several days.
Colonial Pipeline paid the hackers around $4.4 million in ransom, while the Justice Department subsequently declared that it had reclaimed the funds from the criminal gang responsible for the assault.