Instagram is among the most rapidly growing social media platforms that gained popularity amongst its users in a limited number of years. It is considered a pioneer that led the social media age more than a decade ago. People loved the interface to upload a personal excerpt of their lives in the form of a picture or a small video snippet.
Using apps like Instagram to socialize privately can be a little tricky. Often you send messages, intentionally or accidentally that you come to regret later. Have you sent a message on Instagram that you regret? Here you will find out how to delete Instagram chat from both sides, to avoid such mishaps in the future is the cure that you need.
Whenever you approach a new app, it takes time to understand the dynamics of the app, no matter how easy and user-friendly the interface is. Even after you have been using an application for a while, you cannot always know everything there is to know. That is what we’re here for. We have several Instagram and other app guides on our website that you can discover and learn from.
If you have sent a message that you don’t want the other person to read or you did not intend to send at the first place, here is how to delete chat on Instagram from both sides.
How to delete Instagram chat from both sides?
Here we have two different methods detailing how to delete Instagram messages on Instagram from both sides in a few easy steps.
Method # 1
- First of all, you need to open the Instagram app on your smartphone and log in to your Instagram account.
- Now you can see the messages icon on the top right side of the screen. Open the messages and tap on the conversation that you intend to delete.
- Here, click on the message and press Unsend. This will delete the chat automatically on both ends. The only way of deleting messages from both ends on Instagram is by pressing Unsend on the message.
- There is another way of deleting the chat but that will delete the message only from your end and not from the receiver’s end. This is not the ideal case scenario.
- Once the message is removed, it cannot be resent. If you want to send the message again, you will have to type and send it again.
Method # 2
If you are using a laptop or a PC for Instagram and want to delete a message then there is a slightly different way to do it. You can delete the unwanted messages from your Instagram by using the browser.
To delete messages from Instagram using a browser, you would have to follow these steps:
- Go to www.instagram.com on whichever browser you use.
- Once the website has loaded, type your account details and sign in.
- Now on the top right corner of the screen, you will be able to see an icon in the shape of a paper plane that represents your private messages.
- Open the messages and go to the message conversation that you want to delete.
- Now click on the message that you want to delete or unsend from the chat.
- Once you have clicked, a lot of options will appear in front of you and you can select the option “Unsend”. This option will permanently delete the message without the other person’s knowledge, that is if they haven’t already seen it.
- You can delete the whole chat as well, just by clicking on the conversation and selecting the option of delete.
Instagram did not have the option of deleting your messages from the browser before. Now you can send, delete and receive messages from your browser also. You can view stories of your friends or other people using your browser and respond to them as well.
Another option for deleting the messages from your Instagram inbox is to delete the entire conversation at once but this will delete the conversation from your end only. If you want to delete the messages from your end only, then you need to follow the following steps:
- Open up the Instagram app on your iOS or Android phone.
- Now click on the paper plane icon that appears on the top right corner of your screen.
- This click will take you to the messages.
- If you are an Android user, a long-press on the conversation will make a lot of options pop up in front of you. You need to click on the trash icon here to delete the entire conversation.
- For iPhone users, you will have to swipe the chat towards the left end which will make a delete option appear on the screen. Once you click on the delete option, the entire chat will be gone all at once.
Is it required to block a person to delete the messages?
If you block a person on Instagram, this will not delete the messages or the conversation between you two. You need to unsend the messages or delete the entire conversation to ensure that the messages are deleted from both ends before the other person blocks you.
If you block a person on Instagram, this will only ensure that they are unable to search your Instagram account and will not be able to send you any messages moving forward. This will not delete the messages that you had already exchanged with them before.
If you want to delete the messages on both ends, you need to unsend the messages from your side so that you are satisfied, then you can move on to blocking them if you wish to.
If you delete a conversation on Instagram, does the other person know?
Once a chat is deleted on Instagram, it cannot be resuscitated. The new users to Instagram often ask if you delete a conversation on Instagram, does the other person know? Yes, the other person will come to know once the entire chat is deleted. If you delete the messages from both ends, then obviously it gets wiped out from the receiver’s end as well, therefore they will come to know that you have deleted the messages or the entire conversation.
Instagram is a user-friendly app and is popular because of its easy-to-use interface. It is one of the most popular social media platforms to stay connected and up-to-date with the rest of the world. It is easy to delete chats on Instagram but if you are looking to know how to delete Instagram chat from both sides, this guide will answer your queries regarding it and hopefully make it easier for you to understand the platform better.