The festive day of eating and hogging food – Thanksgiving day, that you desire had come and gone – now it’s time to get back to the routine.
But how to get back if your fridge is full of amazingly delicious leftover food from all the Thanksgiving dishes? Well for starters, save the food so that you can easily sustain through Black Friday all the way to cyber Monday.
It is very important to store the leftovers wisely and properly so that they can be consumed later. You can keep the food in the fridge for 2-3 days and if you want to save for a later time then it is advised to freeze it.
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, “leftovers should be stored within two hours of cooking.”
Turkey, which is the highlight of every table on Thanksgiving day, needs to be portioned out quickly and should be cooled down in a refrigerator to avoid any growth of bacteria.
Keep your leftovers from Thanksgiving day safe by following these tips:
- Refrigerate all the perishable items especially those which have a tendency to go rotten soon. The bacteria can multiply very fast and will make the food inconsumable.
- Always use shallow containers to store the leftover food. This will help you in making smaller portions of the food so that you take out only that portion which you want to eat.
- It is advised to consume all the refrigerated food within four days. if planning to eat or consume the thanksgiving leftovers for a longer time then freeze them.
- Frozen food can stay safe for consumption for a very long time but do keep in mind that the quality of the food will decrease over the period of time.
- It is advised to use the frozen food within a period of six months.
- Don’t reheat the food in the microwave in the same container in which you store it in the fridge. Always cover food when placing it in the microwave. Cover it with a ceramic or a glass dish and also add a liquid so that the moisture doesn’t leave the food.
If you plan on enjoying your Thanksgiving dinner days after the official day of the holiday is over, it is very important that you keep the leftovers stored in a proper place. Happy eating!