Stockton – Stagg high school was put under lockdown when a trespasser entered the campus and stabbed a student, resulting in the death of the student.

Stockton Unified School District released a statement saying that the victim was immediately shifted to the hospital after getting stabbed multiple times but succumbed to her injuries and died.

The victim was identified as a 15-year-old teenage girl.

The Stockton Unified School District released an official statement saying “the safety of our students, staff, and teachers remains a top priority” while announcing the lockdown.

“I’m closely monitoring the tragic situation at Stagg High School in Stockton right now. Pam and I are praying for the student, her family, and our entire community. We have to stop the violence.”

The suspect was also taken into custody. The suspect was identified as a 52-year-old Anthony Gray.

 He was arrested under the suspicion of murder by stabbing the victim to death.

Gray was taken to the San Joaquin County jail.

The police department stated “Detectives believe this appears to be a random act and they are trying to determine why this student was targeted,” the Police Department said in a statement. “This is still an active investigation and we will release more information as it becomes available.”

Mayor of Stockton, Kevin Lincoln stated “This is another act of violence that has triggered trauma in our community,“” I want the public to know that the resources are going to be communicated and be made available that will help them navigate these very difficult times.”

John Ramirez Jr. the superintendent conducted a news conference to give out details about the fatal incident.

He stated “I come to you not only as superintendent but also as a father. A trespasser entered one of our schools and stabbed one of our students multiple times. Unfortunately, she did not make it,” So with that, I want to offer from all of our Stockton Unified staff prayers to the family; I can’t even imagine.”

According to the police officials, the stabbing incident occurred moments after 11 a.m. and the attacker was initially determined as a male in his late 40s.

The male went to Stagg high and went straight to the campus gate and directly attacked the security before the staff could make an effort to stop him.

The story is still developing as the motive behind the stabbing incident is still unknown.